Monday, October 10, 2011

Gazals and Jagjit Singh

::Hothon se choo lo tum, mera geet amar kar do:: ::Chithhi na koi sandes, jaane woh kon sa des jahan tum chale gaye:: many more. Gazals which once heard, are hummed for a long, long time. Ever since, I started understanding songs, ever since, I started listening to the lyrics of the songs and ever since I came out of the obsession for songs which were nothing but meaningless shouting, I have been a huge fan of these meaningful, heart-touching gazals. The man himself, Jagjit Singh.
I was still a kid when I had first heard one of the gazals by Jagjit Singh. At that time, I had labelled it as one of those songs which could be used as a lullaby. Now, if you ask me, I'd prefer one of the gazals to those stupid, bollywood songs.
Every gazal that he has sung. Every sentence, every word of those gazals strike a chord. Soothing and meaningful. Words you can connect to.
Jagjit Singh was a gem. His absence, I am sure, will be greatly felt. He sure will live through his gazals. 

2 comments:

Cяystal said...

His voice kinda came from somewhere deep within!
BTW his family had some tragic deaths ..
RIP Jagjit Singh

FirstTimeMother said...

hmm... we all had mourn for his death..
Recalling one of his masterpiece : chitti na koi sandesh ... and ... ye daulat bhi le lo....
RIP jagjit singh